Joint pains are unbearable, as it shows a great impact on individual’s day to day activities. Intolerable joint pains makes individuals compel to think about joint replacements. However, before opting for any joint replacement surgery, it is essential to be aware of few points such as, why joints go bad? Pros & cons of Joint replacement, and other Natural alternatives to combat joint pains. With the advancements in technology, joint replacement surgery came into existence few decades ago. However, earlier they were no such procedures still people used to live with few life style modifications. Many people believe that joint replacement surgery is mandatory to overcome pains and lead a normal life, but the fact is, joint replacement is neither an emergency nor a compulsion, it’s just a matter of choice. Here, you can learn other alternatives of Joint replacement and understand that Joint replacement is not emergency.
What is joint Replacement and why it is done?
Joint replacement is a surgical process in which damaged or diseased joint parts are removed and replaced with the new artificial man-made parts. Usually, this process is done to reduce joint pain and aids you to move and feel better. Joints that can be replaced are Knee, Hip, fingers, shoulders, ankles & elbows. However, Knee and Hip replacements are often done.
Risks of joint Replacement
Though the joint Replacement surgery is effective, it comes with few risks. The following are the few risks of replacing joints:
- Developing Infection
- Bone Fracturing
- Joint pain and stiffness the procedure or implant fails
- Artificial joint dislocation
- Implant loosening, which needs subsequent surgery
- Blood clots
- Damage to nerves, vessels or other structures present in the region of surgery
- Long period of recovery & rehabilitation.
- In some cases the surgery may not work as planned because of various reasons.
- New joints may wear out. Based on the joint, the average life is around 12-20 years.
- All individuals who are suffering from joint pains are not eligible for surgery, there exists few factors based on which your orthopedic decides whether you are a right person for joint Replacement surgery or not.
Alternatives for joint Replacement surgery
Above mentioned risks may put you in perplexed state with queries buzzing in your mind such as, is there any other natural alternative for? If yes, what it can be? You would be glad to know that yes, there are few alternatives for joint Replacement surgery if you are ready to follow few remedies and change your life style that prevents the pain from returning or worsening.
Natural Alternatives of joint Replacement surgery includes:
- Intake of good nutritional food such as fruits, nuts, veggies, seeds, grains, over 3 liters of water per day, avoiding dairy and soda pop foods.
- Good Lifestyle, which means doing weight-bearing exercise, taking short walks, swimming, improve joint stiffness, plenty of rest, absorbing sunshine to replenish vitamin D, & good stress management skills.
- Change diet—chronic swelling in the body results in weakness and eventually tends to tissue degeneration. Thus having a proper diet plan is mandatory. Along with low impact exercises, making simple nutritional changes also aids in reducing inflammation, joint pain and stiffness.
- Intake of Collagen foods—Foods with high protein content has to be consumed. As these high protein content helps in building joints and keeps connective tissue strong.
- Change your current fitness routine
- Undergo physical therapy
- Lose weight or maintain your body weight
- Address any underlying health condition
- Taking Knee injections
- Acupuncture—ancient Chinese method in which sharp, thin needles are used to impact nerves & change the energy flow within the body and reduces the pain.
- Knee osteotomy—individuals experiencing knee deformity on one side of the knee may benefit from osteotomy. This method, shifts weight-bearing load off, the damaged area of the knee.
- Medications – Painkillers reduce joint pain, while non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) helps if knee is inflamed.
- Holistic therapy—Supplements like chondroitin& glucosamineprovides temporary relief for joint pains by generating cushion between diseased bone &the surrounding tissue.
- Taking a relaxed bath with Epsom salts also reduces joint pains.
- Try hot-and-cold approach to managing pain
These are few Alternatives for joint Replacement surgery that eases your life by reducing pain and swelling without any surgery.